I am Professor at the Chair of Philosophy 1 at the Department of Philosophy of the University of Bayreuth. I am also external member of the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy, where I worked for two years as assistant professor. Before that I worked at the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen in the Faculty of Philosophy. I have completed by PhD in February 2008 at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation in Amsterdam, under the supervision of Johan van Benthem (Amsterdam and Stanford) and Martin van Hees (Groningen). I am associate editor of Erkenntnis, Topoi, Theory and Decision Library Series A, and Section Editor for the "Logic, Computation and Agency" Section of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (the latter together with Eric Pacuit and Johan van Benthem).
NOTE: I am not this Olivier Roy.
Current research projects:
Summer term 2016
Winter term 2015/2016
Summer term 2015
International Peer-Reviewed Journals:
- (with Huimin Dong) "Three Deontic Logics for Rational Agency in Games", forthcoming in Studies in Logic.
- (with Albert Anglberger and Norbert Gratzl). "Obligation, Free Choice and the Logic of Weakest Permissions", forthcoming in the Review of Symbolic Logic.
- (with Jan-Willem Romeijn) "Individual and Social Deliberation: Introduction", in Economics and Philosophy, Volume 31, Issue 01, March 2015, pp 1-2.
- (with Jan-Willem Romeijn) "Radical Uncertainty: Beyond Probabilistic Models of Beliefs", in Erkenntnis, December 2014, Volume 79, Issue 6, pp 1221-1223.
- (with Ole Thomassen Hjortland) "Dynamic Consequences for Soft Information." Journal of Logic and Computation. 2014. doi: 10.1093/logcom/exu040
- (with Eric Pacuit) "Substantive Assumptions in Interaction: A Logical Perspective". Synthese. Volume 190, Issue 5, pp 891-908, March 2013.
- (with Cedric Degremont) "Agreement Theorem in Dynamic Epistemic Logic", Journal of Philosophical Logic, Volume 41, Number 4, Pages 735-764. 2012.
- (with Johan van Benthem and Eric Pacuit) "Towards a Theory of Play: The logical perspective on Games and Interaction", Games 2(1), 52-86, 2011.
- "Interpersonal Coordination and Epistemic Support for Intentions with We-Content", Economics and Philosophy, 26(3), pp.345-367, October 2010.
- "Dynamic-Hybrid Logic for Preferences, Intentions and Actions in Strategic Games". Synthese 171(2), November 2009, pp 291-320.
- "Intentions and Interactive Transformations of Decision Problems". Synthese 169(2), July 2009, pp 335-349.
- (with Johan van Benthem and Patrick Girard) "Everything else being equal: A modal logic for ceteris paribus preferences". Journal of Philosophical Logic. Vol. 38, 2009, 83-125.
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings:
- (with Albert Anglberger and Huimin Dong) "Open Reading without Free Choice." in Cariani et al. (eds),DEON'14., June 2014.
- (with Martin Rechenauer) "The Logical Structure of Scanlons Contractualism", in Cariani et al. (eds),DEON'14. June 2014.
- (with Albert J.J. Anglberger and Norbert Gratzl) "The Logic of Obligation as weakest permission." In Broersen, Agotnes and Elgensem (eds.), Proceedings of DEON 2012, Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, 2012.
- (with Eric Pacuit) "A Dynamic Analysis of Interactive Rationality". in H. van Ditmarsch, J. Lang and Shier Ju (eds.), Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Logic, Rationality and Interaction, Lecture Notes in AI # 6953, pp.244|258, 2011.
Books and edited work:
- (with Davide Grossi) \Logic and Rational Interaction", special issue of Journal of Logic and Computation, To Appear in 2015.
- (with Ole Thomassen Hjortland) \Substructural Logic and Information Dynamics", special issue of Journal of Logic and Computation, To Appear in 2015.
- (with Jan-Willem Romeijn) \Symposium on Individual and Social Deliberation", special issue of Economics and Philosophy, Volume 31, Issue 01, March 2015.
- (with Jan-Willem Romeijn) "Radical Uncertainty", special Issue of Erkenntnis, December 2014, Volume 79, Issue 6.
- (with D. Grossi and H. Huang) Logic, Rationality, and Interaction: 4th International Workshop, LORI 2013, Hangzhou, China, October 9-12, 2013, Proceedings. Springer; 2013
- (with Mathieu Marion and Patrick Girard) Dynamic Formal Epistemology, Synthese Library Vol. 351, 2011.
- (with Vincent Hendricks), Epistemic Logic: 5 Questions, VIP-Automatic Press, 2010.
- (with Fenrong Liu), \Advances in Belief Dynamics", Special issue of Synthese, Volume 173, Issue 2, 2010
- Review of I. Gilboa's \Rational Choice"", Economics and Philosophy, 28(1), March, 2012.
Contributions to edited volumes:
- (with Eric Pacuit) \Epistemic foundations of game theory", in Ed Zalta (ed), Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Spring 2015 edition.
- (with Albert Anglberger and Norbert Gratzl) \The Logic of Best Action from a Deontic Perspective", in A. Baltag and S. Smets (eds), Johan F.A.K. van Benthem on Logical and Informational Dynamics, Trends in Logic Series, September 2014.
- (with Martin van Hees) \Intentions, Decisions and Rationality", in T. Boylan and R. Gekker (eds.), Economics, Rational Choice and Normative Philosophy. Routledge, 2009.
- (with Martin van Hees) \Intentions and Plans in Decision and Game Theory", in Bruno Verbeek (ed.), Reasons and Intentions. Ashgate Publishers, 2008
- (with Johan van Benthem and Sieuwert van Otterloo), \Preference Logic, Conditionals, and Solution Concepts in Games", in Lagerlund, Lindstrm and Sliwinski (eds.), Modality Matters: Twenty-Five Essays in Honour of Krister Segerberg, Uppsala Philosophical Studies 53, Uppsala, 2006.
Publications in national, peer-review journals:
- (with Martin van Hees and Marc Pauly) \Democratisch optimisme: deliberatie in theorie en praktijk", in Contested Democracy, Dutch National Research Foundation (NWO), 2013
- (with Paul Egre) \Les Conventions sans la Connaissance Commune?", Klesis, no. 24, December 2012.
- "Epistemic Logic and the Foundations of Decision and Game Theory", Journal of the Indian Council of Philosophical Research, Vol. XXVII (2), pp. 283-314, April-June 2010.
- "Intentions rationnelles et acceptations en deliberation." Philosophiques, 35(2), Automne 2008, pp.525|545.
PhD thesis: Thinking before acting: Intentions, Logic, Rational Choice, ILLC Dissertation Series DS-2008-03, Amsterdam, 2008.